1- Forms of Pronouns as Compliments:
– Singular: myself, yourself, himself, herself, itself.
– Plural: ourselves, yourselves, themselves.
2- Function as Emphasis: Pronouns as compliments are mainly used to emphasize the noun or pronoun that precedes them. They add emphasis or intensify the meaning of the subject or object in a sentence. Here are some examples:
– I baked the cake myself. (Emphasizes that I did it alone, without any help.)
– The president himself addressed the nation. (Highlights that the president personally spoke to the nation.)
– The dog hurt itself. (Shows that the dog caused harm to itself.)
3- Placement in Sentences: Pronouns as compliments generally come immediately after the noun or pronoun they emphasize. Take note of the following examples:
– She herself solved the puzzle.
– We will do it ourselves.
– You should believe in yourself.
4- Avoiding Ambiguity: Pronouns as compliments can also help avoid ambiguity in sentences. They clarify that the subject and object are the same entity. For instance:
– John criticized John himself. (Shows that John criticized himself, not someone else.)
Remember, it’s crucial to use pronouns as compliments appropriately and effectively. They can enhance your communication skills and help you express emphasis and clarity in your speaking and writing tasks on the TOEFL exam.